Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day - Trim Healthy Mama Tuesday

For this weeks Trim Healthy Mama Tuesday, I am going to focus on how we did our Memorial day celebration Trim Healthy Mama style.
 
 
This was our breakfast.  I got this idea off of Pinterest.  I basically used raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and mozzarella cheese cubes to form an American flag.  We served this over bowls of full fat cottage cheese.  Of course, you could use low fat cottage cheese, but it was a holiday, so we indulged a bit.

 
It was a gloomy day here, but we still managed to grill.  Even holidays are good "school" days when you're a homeschool family.  So, dad took this opportunity to teach one of our sons the basics of grilling and how to flip them burgers.

 
My daughter Kaila made a delicious strawberry lemonade recipe.  She combined 1 1/4 lbs. of strawberries, two whole lemons quartered, two cups of water and Truvia to taste.  Whiz in blender, add four more cups of water and strain.  We didn't strain ours though because we didn't mind the pulp.  It was so refreshing and yummy!

 
For supper I had a double cheeseburger with bacon and homemade salsa.  For my salsa, I take a can of crushed tomatoes and add 6 jalepenos chopped, a bunch of green onions, a bunch of fresh cilantro chopped, some salt and a splash of vinegar.  I love that stuff!  It's excellent on burgers.  I used Pepper jack cheese on my burgers. 
 
The coleslaw recipe is amazing.  I never used to like coleslaw until I found this recipe.  The only thing we don't do is we don't add the corn when we are eating "S" style.
 
It's really a great grilling recipe!

 
For dessert, I made some red, white and blue popsicles for us to enjoy.  Basically, you take two cups strawberries and add a Tbsp. of water to a saucepan.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.  Throw in blender.  Pour into mold and freeze for 3 hours.  Next, take some 0% Greek yogurt and mix it with some Truvia to taste and add that to the mold and freeze for three hours.  Then take 2 cups of blueberries and a Tbsp. of water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.  Add to top of molds and freeze over night.
 
Everyone thought they were so delicious!  A fun and simple treat to top off this holiday.







That about wraps it up for my first Trim Healthy Mama Tuesday.  See you next week.