For supper tonight, I converted an old favorite to make it "Trim Healthy Mama" acceptable. The original recipe has potatoes, carrots, milk and all purpose flour in it. All of those things would cause a carb/fat collision and make you gain weight. So, I made a few substitutions and came up with this delicious comfort soup. This would be considered a Deep S meal. Meaning Deeply Satisfying.
Here are the cast of characters. As always I forget to include some things in the picture. This time I forgot to include the salt, pepper, glucomannan and nutritional yeast. Otherwise, everything else is there.
Chop your onions,
and your orange peppers
Cut up that bacon and fry it in a pan. Mmmm... can't you just smell the wonderful aroma? This is when everyone comes in the kitchen saying, "Oh mom, what are you making? That smells good."
Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
Brown the ground beef. I browned it in the bacon grease. I'm telling you, it turns out so good. Don't worry, I drain it and rinse it before adding it to the soup. It does flavor things nicely though.
Chop the celery. I always chop the leaves of the celery and add it to my dishes.
Stir fry the onions, peppers and celery with the basil and parsley in some of the butter.
Drain and rinse that meat really good.
Chop up the cauliflower into bite size pieces.
Cook those vegies until tender.
Add the ground beef and cauliflower to pan with chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until cauliflower is tender.
In another pan, melt more butter and add almond flour with gluccmannan. Cook for 3 minutes then add to soup.
Grate your cheese.
Turn that soup down to low.
Once that cauliflower is tender and you've added the almond flour mixture,
Then it's time to add that lovely cheese.
It's so fun to watch it melt.
Then add that wonderful heavy whipping cream.
Add your nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
Then add your bacon.
Lastly, the sour cream.
Stir it all up and heat on low until heated throughout.
Serve up the delicious yumminess into bowls.
Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
serves 6 (in my pictures, I doubled it to feed my family)
- Brown the ground beef in 3 quart saucepan. Drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan add 1 T butter and add onion, chopped orange pepper, parsley flakes, basil and celery. Saute until tender.
- Add the broth, cauliflower and beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- In small skillet melt remaining butter (3 T) and add the almond flour and glucomannan. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in the cheese, heavy cream, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Stir in the cooked and crumbled bacon.Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.