Friday, February 14, 2014

Grandpa Bill's Salsa

 
When I met my husband, I also got introduced to his step-dad.  Now that he's my children's grandpa, we just all call him Grandpa Bill.  He's a fun-loving grandpa who cares deeply about his grandkids.  Anyway, back on topic.  When I met him, I also got introduced to the most amazing salsa ever.  His salsa.  He is a Native American and has always liked things HOT!  I also love things hot.  I fell in love with his salsa.  But before you stop reading (for those that don't like things hot) - I am making a mild version here.
 
I asked for the recipe and he was so nice to share it with me.  Now I will add here, if I was making this just for me, I would make it with the seeds in and let my mouth start on fire.  After all, my nose runs so much when eating the HOT version that it works sort of like a fire hydrant.  Hehe!
 
It's easy, however, to make this mild so that all types of people can enjoy it, not just us crazy people.  The other day, I made a double batch.  I made some for our Care Group and some for a few recipes I have at home.
 
 

Here's the simple cast of characters:  Remember I was doubling the recipe.  Jalepenos (the bigger they are the more mild they seem to be, the smaller the hotter), fresh cilantro, green onions, crushed tomatoes (you can use fresh tomatoes out of the garden, but if it's winter time, trust me, it's best if you use crushed from the can), salt and vinegar.
 
 


If you are smart, you will listen to this tip.  Put some kind of plastic, rubber, gloves on your hands when dealing with jalapeños.  If you don't listen to this tip, you will later find out why you should have.
 

To make the mild version, chop the stems off and remove seeds.  If you are like me and like it hot, just leave those seeds in.  Make sure you have lots of napkins in stock.
 


Most of the time, I just chop everything by hand, but I was kind of in a hurry, so I pulled out my food processor.
 

Chop the jalapeños up and place in a bowl.
 

Then do the same with the green onions.



Then do the same with the fresh cilantro.  You can use dried, but believe me, fresh is the best!
 




Place all of those ingredients in a bowl.
 

Add tomatoes, salt to taste and a splash of vinegar and mix well.

 

For our care group, I served this in a bowl with some tortilla chips.  For myself, I made some chips using Joseph's lavash bread.  This salsa is great on taco salad, on your eggs and really just on anything that you like salsa on.  I also added some to some avocados and made some guacamole for the Care Group as well.  It was delicious!
 


Grandpa Bill's Salsa

1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
6 fresh jalapeños (deseeded) and chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 bunch fresh green onions, chopped
salt to taste
a splash of vinegar

Combine all of the above ingredients in a bowl and stir well.