Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers

On my low carb diet, every once in a while I miss something I used to eat.  This week, it was sloppy joes.  So, my lovely daughter made me some sloppy joe stuffed peppers that fit in with our "Trim Healthy Mama" style of eating.  They were incredible, so I thought I'd share the recipe here.
 
 
 
SLOPPY JOE STUFFED PEPPERS
1 pound ground beef
1 ounce onion, chopped, about 2 tablespoons
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Stevia packet from Aldi
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid aminos
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
3 green peppers, halved lengthwise

Brown the ground beef, onion, celery and garlic; drain the fat. Stir in all of the remaining ingredients except the cheese and green peppers. Simmer 10 minutes. Meanwhile, parboil the peppers in a little boiling water 3 minutes; drain. Place the peppers in a baking dish. Stir half of the cheese into the hamburger mixture; fill the peppers with the meat. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350º 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly and the peppers are tender.  Makes 6 servings
Can be frozen